Information for Hosts
Are you an alum, parent, or friend of the college who is interested in becoming a job shadow host for an aspiring Dickinson student? Get involved today! There are dozens of eager Dickinson students just waiting to meet you and talk about what you love to do every day.
A Dickinson job shadow consists of a short-term shadowing experience with a host. Job shadow hosts are willing to engage either in-person or virtually with students to observe and gain a better understanding of both what they do on a daily basis, and the culture in which they work. Job shadowing provides interested students with unpaid, non-credit, short-term virtual shadowing experiences in a wide variety of careers and industries throughout the country.
A student in the job shadow program may:
- Explore career paths within an organization
- Have informational interviews with employees
- Observe virtual interactions between customers and clients
- Meet with decision makers
- Take virtual tours of facilities (if possible) and attend staff meetings
- Assist with projects and tasks
WHY SHOULD I CONSIDER HOSTING A STUDENT?
Hosting a student can help you and your organization:
- Identify candidates early in the recruiting process for internship opportunities
- Gain exposure for your industry, organization, and career
- Give back to Dickinson College with your time and experience
- Reconnect with Dickinson and learn about the current student culture, programs, and experience
HOW DO I SIGN UP TO BE A HOST?
Please fill out this form by October 12, 2021.
HOW DOES THE APPLICATION PROCESS WORK?
- Hosts will need to send us a description of what their job shadow externship experience will look like.
- The Center for Advising, Internships & Lifelong Career Development staff will post these descriptions on Handshake, our online job posting system.
- Students are instructed to apply to job shadows through Handshake.
- After the deadline to apply, the Center for Advising, Internships & Lifelong Career Development will work together with hosts to review and notify applicants
- Hosts and students should connect to work out logistics and schedule their experience, which should occur between January 3rd and January 22nd, 2022.
WHAT ARE MY RESPONSIBILITIES AS A JOB SHADOW HOST?
If a student reaches out, the job shadow host will create and host the student(s) in a short virtual experience during which the host will provide the student(s) with:
- An itinerary for the experience;
- An overview of your industry and company; and
- A glimpse into the world of work via an in-person or virtual shadowing experience
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I HAVE FINISHED HOSTING?
After finishing a job shadow, hosts should fill out this response form to tell us all about how your experience went. Students will fill out a similar form.
For any additional information regarding the Job Shadow Externship experience, please contact Amy Soba, Post-Baccalaureate Associate at firstname.lastname@example.org or (717) 245-1740.